Wednesday 5 March 2008

No news is equality news

So Mr Duncan MP is having a civil partnership ceremony and it's all over the news. This makes me miserable. Don't get me wrong, I am really chuffed for the guy and I think civil partnership is a great thing, what makes me miserable is that it merits as news. If there were real equality for gay men and women, no-one would bat an eyelid about this. I don't think a Shadow MP qualifies as enough of a celebrity to get onto the Celebrity weddings list, so it's because it's a gay wedding and he is in the public eye that has made the hoo ha.

Argh, even me writing about this here means that I'm doing the same and reinforcing this inequality. Ignore what I just wrote - go on, forget it, else I'm just as guilty as everyone else. Or am I? Blimey, I'm all muddled now. Perhaps I should just say "Congratulations Mr Duncan," and get on with writing about something else.

No comments: